Pick one of the topics below and write a letter to an elected official advocating for a policy or program that will improve the health of diverse populations. The elected official can be from either state or federal government. The letter can be no longer than 1 page and must focus on only one issue.
1. Zoonotic and vector-borne diseases
2. Water quality
4. Food Safety
5. Clinical aspects of environmental health
6. Municipal solid waste
7. Medical and hazardous waste
8. Air quality (indoor + Outdoor)
Format: must include a cover page along with the letter (i.e., the assignment will be no longer than 2 pages – 1 page for the cover and the second page for the letter). The cover page must include two summaries:
1. The topic selected, the policy or program for which the student is advocating, and the reason you selected the topic and policy/program.
2. The elected official, their contact information, and the reason this official was selected to receive the letter.
A sample letter to an elected official from the American Library association can be found at www.ala.org/aasl/sites/ala.org.aasl/files/content/aboutaasl/aaslcommunity/quicklinks/el/Sample_Letter_to_Elected_Officials.pdf. Tips for writing your elected official is available from the American Civil Liberties Union at https://www.aclu.org/writing-your-elected-representatives.