Choose TWO common myths about those who live in poverty and come up with the truths about the myths.
You may want to refer to the following:
U.S. Poverty Myths: Myths about poverty in the world’s wealthiest nation http://www.worldvisionusprograms.org/us_poverty_myths.php
Are Poor People Lazy?
Poverty statistics: USA poverty
Debunking Poverty Myths and Stereotypes
Busting the seven great myths of poverty
2. Not many Americans have had the same community service opportunity as you have had this semester, how do you propose to get people more involved so that they can see poverty first hand?
3. From the various ideas and solutions presented in chapter 6 of “Our Kids” (Putnam, 2015) defend the TWO which you think are the most important and why.
4. I had a wise former student state: “If the cause of living in poverty is not addressed then a ‘cure’ and road map out of poverty may lead right back to a life of poverty.” Which road is more difficult to travel: the road leading to a life of poverty, or the road that leads one out of poverty? What do you think?
5. Now that you have completed the course, take a few minutes to review the key issues we have discussed throughout the course by looking over the following facts and taking one last quiz (choose one)
Poverty Facts: The Population of Poverty:
Poverty Quiz – Huff Post (2017)
MSNBC – What is the state of poverty in the US? (2015)
6. Please discuss any final thoughts of poverty or on what you learned this semester.
12 Things You Can Do to Fight Poverty Right Now
Why Poor People’s Decisions Make Perfect Sense
From not using birth control to eating junk food, Linda Tirado explained in her HuffPost blog how poverty leads to what many deem “bad decisions.” She joins us to share her story.
Originally aired on November 25, 2013
Three Steps We Can Take to Solve Poverty, From Someone Who Knows Firsthand
July 11, 2014
by Tianna Gaines-Turner
Want to end poverty? Educate the kids
The True State of the Nation: How is America Really Doing?
How Much More Expensive Life Has Gotten Since We Last Raised The Minimum Wage, 5 Years Ago Today
Economist Calculates Just How Inadequate Your State’s Minimum Wage Is
“I am not a bum I am human being”
Watch Holly Sklar, co-author of RAISE THE FLOOR: WAGES AND POLICIES THAT WORK FOR ALL OF US, discusses what current economic conditions say about the state of the American dream.
Gary Haugen: The hidden reason for poverty the world needs to address now – lack of compassion
Finland Wants To Revamp Its Welfare System By Simply Giving People Cash
• Your posting should demonstrate an understanding and application of the reading materials by answering all the required questions.
• Your post must be at least 500 words long (I do not count restating the directions into the word count).